Thursday, February 2, 2012

So finding time, computers, internet, access to google programs is becoming rarer the longer I live in Thailand. Last week, the four student computers at ISDSI inexplicably could not log on to Gmail or Facebook. Also, its a miracle if all four computers can access the computer simultaneously. America does have its perks, but I can't say internet access is always one of them. Just think back to Freshman year at Wheaton college. The shared bandwidth divided among so many homesick freshman... nightmarish.

What about the perks of living in Thailand?

People watching

It is so entertaining to watch all the white, ill-fashioned, ruddy tourists try to navigate Chiang Mai. This especially evil of me because so recently I was among them. Well, now I am down the road of intercultural elitism.

You have the bohemian backpackers. They usually look like they haven't shaved/showered for weeks when most likely just got off the plane yesterday. You can find them hanging around "authentic" markets which are actually made to look authentic, real, and gritty but largely cater foreigners and charge much higher prices. When I go to these markets, which are usually most exciting at night, I make sure to bring some member of my host family so that I can get lower prices. These backpackers are largely ignorant of cultural norms in Thailand too, wearing tank tops and other culturally inappropriate clothes. (Note: I have gone out in tank top only once and received just consequences- being hit on by the gayboys; lesson learned). These ones are only fun to watch if they are obtusely being ignorant of Thai culture.

There are the Asian tourists. Usually from Japan, Korea, and India (though the Indians are better at fitting in somehow). They roll around in tight family groups with each member having a camera securely fastened around their neck and taking it out for every possible occasion. I saw one Japanese family get so confused with lack of public transport of which Japan is known for they thought they were lost when they were only 20 yards from their hotel. Other characteristics include family "uniforms" and throwing up the peace sign for most pictures.

Then there are the "relative" conducted tourists. These ones are difficult to explain. It usually consists a native Thai person leading around a western family. Its like a personal tour guide. They have their Thai relative do all the communication and directing basically leading the family around.  They bargain for the low prices and have intimate local knowledge that only a Thai could possess. Further observation is needed to fully understand the interwokings of  this tourist relationship.

I could go on and on classifying the tourists I see but I will not continue to bore you.

To finish off this post, I will immaturely teach you some fun Thai vocabulary that made me pale when I first heard it.

Fuhk-toh- means pumpkin, the first part is awkward for me to say when I am selling vegetables at the marker.

Chit- means shot

Salutt- While at a restaurant my parents asked me if I wanted one of these and I was very confused at what the meant. It means salad/ They use the English word with a few fun tweaks.

I hope all is well wherever you may be! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment