Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stiggy


I have been in Thailand for almost three weeks. I am finally settling into the rhythm and hum of everyday life. I got my first haircut! A harrowing experience it is, trying to explain to someone with a sharp object how much hair you wish to have shorn when there is no mutual language. Not to mention, this barbershop was tucked under a maze of concrete in a tight urban valley where foot traffic is at a minimum. Sketch McGetch. Thankfully, my host bro Karn (pronounced Gan) was my able guide on whom I could depend. Great experience! It cost two dollars, lasted along an hour of which half I received a shampooed head massage. I am pretty sure my hairdresser became fed up with the state of my hair as I had just finished crossfit but an hour ago. She said, “Stiggy” and pointed at my hair. This could have meant one of two things, “stinky or sticky,” Context provides no clear choice as my hair at that moment contained both attributes. Time to call in the Hardy Boys!

Well… so much has happened since I last left a blog post. I have ridden elephants, learned how to navigate Chiang Mai public transport (of which there is none) (taxis), help host a Thai party for my American friends, and retreat off into the Thai wilderness. I have also visited the hospital and done more crossfit. You win some, you lose some.

Elephants are amazing. There massive gray bodies holding the most muscular power in the terrestrial kingdom does not superficially complement the Elephant’s gentle herbivorous nature. I was able to travel to a world-renowned elephant camp (actually listed in the Guiness Book of World Records) where 72 happy elephants live. I was able to do this all on the kind dollar of my host family. I fed these gray giants, watched them play soccer and basketball, roll in the river bed, paint stunning landscapes all under a perfectly dry overcast Portland sky. It was an unforgettable experience. Please check out my pictures of this monumental event!

On Sunday, the day after, I took eight friends from ISDSI out to my host family’s farm where we had a Thai barbecue (Good Job D with all the meat! 11 years of vegetarianism can’t stop a determined person like you!) learned hwo to plant strawberries and traveled to an elephant camp where the staff least to say was markedly less professional that the one I had encountered previously in the weekend. It was almost enough to call PETA in, but at least we all got to ride elephants for cheap! And my host family bought pictures for all my friends. It was just another example of how kind and hospitable my Thai family is.

The next weekend after a grueling week of Thai language classes was a retreat to a national park. We stayed near a waterfall called Mork Fa. Check my pictures on facebook to see how beautiful this place is. It really reminded me of Oregon, except way more tropical. We learned leadership skills and wilderness rescues methods to prepare for our three week long field courses. We learned how to make a stretcher but as some of you may know (Walker, Josh Wright, Bryn…) been there, done that, not fun, don’t wanna do it again.
My soy allergy is becoming more of a problem that I hoped for, hence hospital visit. Please pray for that mess to clear up. I am armed with benedryl and an epipen, but good ‘ol prayer has no substitution.

Hope all is well wherever you may be. I am having a blast and pumped for what is to come this semester and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment